Basics for Christian Growth 2 – Abiding in Christ 1 John 2:28
And now little children abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
The most comprehensive teaching in the Bible on abiding in Christ is found in John chapter 15. In that passage we find the analogy of the vineyard, where there are 4 identities, Christ the true vine, God the husbandman, and two types of branches, fruitful and unfruitful. The appeal to all would be to make sure we are a fruitful branch, a true branch connected to the true vine.
5 Marks of a true branch:
(1) A true branch abides, stays connected, continues, dwells in, does not depart.
(2) God dwells in a true branch.
(3) A true branch bears fruit.
(4) A true branch has opportunity for an effective prayer life.
(5) A true branch has available the joy of Christ.
Are you a true branch?